Sunday 22 April 2018

POEM: TRANSITIONS


Transitions  
A filigree of ice
as delicate as the lips of a flower
or the touch of skin
forms in the space above
my car’s open window.

It hangs like lace,
like grandmother’s
fine needlework; a fluid web
caught between liquid and solid.

It’s brief moment captures light
never to be seen again
until the end of time.

And moving in our practical world
from water to ice to water again,
with temperatures and air pressure,
and the effects of metal and glass
helping to shape its form,
it must laugh with joy
to share the joke
with the only one there
to bear it witness.


I WROTE THIS SEVERAL YEARS AGO, SOME MARCH, when the last of winter was upon us and the sun was slowly melting everything. I was about to open my car door when I noticed some icicles had formed where I'd left my window partly down. It was like a gift, this delicate, lace-like configuration, that would be there for just a brief while longer, and then gone forever. For there will never be the same, exact combination of water, temperature, wind and all the other elements that go into creating something so beautiful. It was utterly unique. I knew it. And I think the ice did, too.

Cheers, Jake











No comments: