Saturday 23 March 2019

WTF, DARWIN!



What The Fuck, Darwin!
Hi there. My name is Sally T. Sloane,
I came to life as your neighbourhood drone.
I brought you, at first, green tea and wool mittens.
Why, I even dropped off some Christmas kittens!
Things worked well enough, my rotors and gears
meshed with my brain pan, despite a few tears.
There were a few hiccups; those I recall:
There was that incendiary that went to the mall;
I sliced a few eyelids (my blades were still new.)
I thought I was Dali, the painter, it’s  true!
But the bugs were soon out; they must have used Raid!
I made sure each purchase was ordered and paid.
I furnished you with the items you needed.
Who could have known a pandemic was seeded?
You thought I was lonely, so you linked me with Al.
He once was a soldier; he became my best pal.
With all of the to-ing and fro-ing of drones,
those pesky old germs arrived at your homes.
Were they from droplets got from a dead star
or that COD package not traveled half far?
Once things here got going (now I’m thinking of you),
I worked with my droneys to make it come true.
I established my perimeter, and made sure that my rounds
could fire all night and not make a sound.
..........
Evolution’s over-rated, especially, you’ll find,
                                                                           by those in the rear-view and those left behind.


YEAH. DRONES DELIVERING PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS OR PIZZA RIGHT to my door. That’s progress! But will they still deliver when I’m living in a cardboard box on a street corner? (I guess as long as there’s a clear flight path and that credit card I nicked found hasn’t been flagged as stolen yet.)
The inspiration for the above great work of poetry came from an on-line article about the development of drone warfare over the last few years in the US. And a big shout out to President Obama: Thanks for kick-starting that baby! (Say, when are they going to ask you to  return your Nobel Peace Prize? Not by drone, I hope---though that would be kind of cool in a post-modern, high-irony, fuck you sort of way.) 
And the vid, "Slaughterbots", a SiFi short, just creeps me out, man! It's only about 8 minutes long and it's well done. It gave me a definite 'uh-oh! moment' watching it. Check it out. DUCK AND COVER, BABY!  
 






No comments: