Tuesday 1 May 2018

DECLINE AND FALL: #1




FOR SOME REASON, WHENEVER YOU SAY TO PEOPLE that our civilization is heading into the recycle bin of history, that our complex, interconnected, modern globalized world economy is unsustainable, and is entering the early stages of collapse, they tend to nod politely and move on. Gosh! Darn it! Why won't they listen?
The other day I was at the library, and I was watching a young man outside the main door. He was clutching something in his hand and waving his arms about as he spoke to two women leaving the building. At first, I wasn’t sure what was going on; I was too far away to hear what he was saying. Then I realized he was preaching to them and holding a bible in his hand. Apparently his messaging wasn’t very effectively, as the two listened politely, smiled, and then moved on.
Earlier, I had seen another young man standing at the library door. He stood off to one side, long hair beneath his cap waving slightly in the late spring breeze. He wore a sweater and had a 'Scandinavian-cast' about him, and I thought he was waiting for someone, until I realized he was just lost. The two were all but invisible to passersby.
I guess what I'm trying to say, clumsily, is--that's our world in a nut shell. I mean no disrespect to people suffering from mental disorders, but it’s a crazy situation we’re in at the moment. On the one hand, there are those who shout and preach their hearts out about everything that is going wrong on our the planet, from plastics in our oceans, to melting glaciers and raging forest fires, to wars and growing economic disparity, to the shrinking coffers of governments and the ‘shiny-seat’ quality of today's politicians, just to touch the tip of the iceberg.  On the other hand, there are those (most of us, really), who are silent, confused and at a loss for words. 
So, how do we parse these modern times? How do we find our way between* the noise and the silence? And I will admit that one of my bad habits is preaching. (Perhaps I should join that fellow outside the library!) I tend to lay out my arguments, and then fold my arms, smugly satisfied that everyone will understand and act accordingly. A good number of the poems I write have themes about what happens when pride or arrogance or hubris enter our lives, so I will try to avoid those pratfalls if I can; I’ll try to leave them at the door.
This is my first post on the subject, and I guess I’ll call it "Decline and Fall". I will try not to preach, but neither will I remain silent. 

To prep readers and future digital archaeologists who may uncover and decode ancient computer files, I’d like to quote a writer who has greatly influenced my thinking over the years, John Michael Greer from his book, The Retro Future. In his introduction he says:

"Most people in the industrial world believe that the future is, by definition, supposed to be better than the past, that growth is normal and contraction is not, that newer technologies are superior to older ones, and that the replacement of simple technologies by complex ones is as unstoppable as it is beneficent. That’s the bedrock of contemporary faith in progress. This faith remains unchallenged by most people today, even though the evidence of our everyday lives contradicts it at every turn."
He says it so much better than I can!

Cheers, Jake




Cheers!



*I know there are many who reject the over-heated and often politically motivated 'call to arms' of this or that group or political party, and instead work independently, sometimes under the radar, towards finding solutions and ways of living that will address the difficult and changing circumstances we all face in the coming years. I will try to talk about some of these ideas in future posts.


                                        View Of The Roman Forum by Giovanni Paolo Panini, 1743

No comments: