Tuesday 1 May 2018

CARTOONS: ENOUGH ALREADY!




I FELT A BIT ADRIFT AT SEA TODAY, and I thought I would haul in a few random cartoons that I found loaded aboard my rusty barge. Like imps or tricksters they pinch my cheeks or twist my arm to force me to share humor with others. They cajole and nag me to make people laugh. They wheedle and whine so!

Enough, already! Here's some random pics: This first is one I drew probably in the seventies at university (technology rocks, man!) The caption was: VAN WAS NEVER FAR FROM ANYTHING, ANYMORE*. Van was a friend, a nice guy with an easy laugh and playful nature that drew people to him. In fact, he's one of a handful of people who taught me how to laugh, and for that, I will always be grateful. I am also grateful that he was, for a time, my friend. Thanks Van. (And sorry for using your name in my cartoon; you were nothing like that geek.) I wish I could have been a better friend to you, and to so many others.
"NOT A FEATHER ON HER!"


*I'm reminded of today's smartphone users who spend so much time on their devices. In Middle English, the original sense of the word "device" was "desire", so that rings true enough. Will we get what we desire? What happens then?

 
This next cartoon reminds me of those dreams we all have about being naked in public without a license. I'm sure the little guy is thinking: "A hat! A hat! My kingdom for a hat!" A man's erogenous zone is where he hangs his hat, after all!

The next pic is my version of Eve. What can I say, except  the past is never as perfect as we remember it, nor as elevating as we'd like it to have been. (“Adam sweetie, I'm thinking roast gull for dinner. How about you?)



EASTER ISLAND. DUH!
And I know the tragic story of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) is complex with a host of variables. But, Dude! Cutting down all your trees so you can haul giant stones for miles just so you could play My Moai is Bigger Than Yours! while everything goes to shit around you! Dude! That’s just not cool!






 

 We moderns  wouldn't do anything like that. We have science. We know about ecology and stuff. We’ve learned the lessons of history. Our future will be better than those guys. Surely.

Cheers, Jake.




"Wave bye-bye, now. Bye-bye."



No comments: